What is a housing disrepair claim?

As a tenant, although it is your responsibility to keep the property clean and liveable, your landlord is still responsible for the majority of repairs including fixtures, drains and heating – if this is detailed in your contract. With a good solicitor you may be able to gain compensation for the disrepair in your rented property.

So, what exactly is housing disrepair? Read on for all you need to know.

What does the law say?

According to the Landlord and Tenant Act (LTA) 1985, for all tenancies after 1961, the landlord must:

●Keep on top of internal and external repairs such as drains, gutters and external pipes.

●Maintain the water and heating within the property.

●Ensure the supply of water, gas and electricity, as well as the appliances which these are supplied to such as sinks and baths are properly working.

Your landlord may also be responsible for other fixtures that came with the property such as the oven and fridge, but always check the details of your contract beforehand.

What counts as housing disrepair?

Housing disrepair could count as the following:

● Damage to your belongings: If your items have been damaged due to disrepair, you may be able to regain the monetary value. Common types of repairs include mould-affected clothing or bedding or electrical items damaged by leaks.

● Personal injury: You or your family may experience ill health caused by the disrepair, which could mean you need time off work. Severe mould, for example, can cause respiratory problems making the property unsafe for habitation. 

● Inconvenience: If a broken boiler or no water means you cannot sleep or wash in the property, this is very inconvenient for you. You can claim for this effect this has had on your ability to use the property. 

When do you have a claim?

If your landlord refuses to fix the areas they are responsible for, you may be entitled to compensation. As explained above, these are common reasons for housing disrepair claims, however, each case will vary as well as the amount of compensation you can receive. A good lawyer will be able to help you through the process, but make sure you have evidence to hand such as any communications you’ve had with your landlord, photographs and doctors notes.

Here at Naughtons Solicitors , based in Seaham, we offer a range of legal services including housing disrepair claims, family law, conveyancing and employment law. For more information get in touch today.

Feel Free To Share

More From The Blog